Spike and Sadie

I somehow managed to incorporate a little Sadie Nardini and a little Spike Lee into a yoga class I taught last night! Yoga Bear and I took Sadie's workshop at Yoga Flow Center in DC last weekend. Sadie is no slouch! Watch her shakti shiva kicks on youtube. I thought Bear and I might not make the class at all as parking spots and/or garages on P Street were nowhere! I called the primary and he gave me the address of the garage I left at home. Success and many thanks to the drivers in DC who were saintly dealing with my crazy inappropriate driving skills! Delicious veggie burger at Cafe Green on 17th St. and shopping at Whole Foods and LuLuLemon rounded out the day.

Spike Lee at W@M with Meilinzhen was wonderful.  Great audience and good vibes! Spike's talk ran the gamut from the serious issue of racial inequality and the work ahead to make change to a few lighthearted anecdotes about Rosie Perez and Michael Jackson. His story about how the path of his life was chosen one summer in NY was great. That  year in NY besides the fact that I met the Primary, the NY Daily News ran a headline, "Ford To City: Drop Dead", the blackout of '77 occurred, looting and rioting erupted, the horrific Son of Sam was on the loose, and in between these events some of us were dancing the Hustle (not the Primary, he was in Queens being questioned). These events triangulated to make an 8mm movie camera appear in Spike's hands and the rest is history. To sum up the evening his directive to the students was not to choose a career path for the money, it won't work. He emphasized the importance to "do what you love".

So to tie up my loose ends in this post, in class last night I was able to instruct Sadie's forward fold with fists in opposite elbow creases and during savasana speak about including yoga in our paths, nurturing it, and supporting others on their paths. The whole path thing goes back to Spike and Sadie.


Comments